Skip to content
Helpful Hints for Effective Flyers
*Student Organizations can contact Publications (publications.truman.edu; x4129) for free poster design.
- One or two typefaces are optimal. Three is acceptable. Four is too busy!
- If you are using two or three typefaces, use one sans serif and one serif.
- This is a sans serif typeface (note the absence of the things on the ends of the lines on each letter).
- This is a serif typeface (note the presence of the little lines on the end of each letter).
- Novelty fonts are good for large type, but in small doses. Don’t put all the text on a page in something like Algerian or Copperplate Gothic.
- WRITING IN ALL CAPITAL LETTERS IS DIFFICULT TO READ. Lowercase letters are easier to read at a glance.
Additional Design Tips
- Your flyer needs a dominant element. The most important thing should be significantly bigger or set apart from everything else.
- Use Contrasts:
- Simple and complex
- Large and small
- Light and dark
- Heavy and light
- Horizontal and vertical
- Never, never underline all of your text; it is difficult to read and distracts from the purpose of the flyer.
- Look around campus at other flyers and posters to see what catches your attention and what is easy to read. Likewise, notice posters that are unorganized and difficult to read.
- Always say it in fewer words. The more words on the poster, the less the viewer will read and retain.
- For every inch tall your text is, people can read it from 10 feet away (i.e. 2 inch tall text can be read from 20 feet, 3 inch from 30 feet, etc.). Make it big!
- Avoid cheesy clipart.
- Avoid busy, horrible, ugly borders. A line can be nice, but 100 ice cream cones around the edge of the page becomes too busy.
- Do NOT steal copyrighted images off the Internet. Stick to what you are given by the event agent, organization logo, etc.
- Experiment! Try fonts besides Times New Roman. Add some lines or shapes. Make letters go at a diagonal. Be creative and original!
- Do not use multiple exclamation points or question marks!!!!!!!!!!!